Saturday, June 8, 2013

Flipping That Doesn't Flop

 Dr. Lodge McCammon and Katie Gimbar came to campus and taught us about flipping classrooms. This concept was explained as a way to incorporate technology in the classroom and increase efficiency  in content delivery. I did find some reasons why flipping is beneficial for teachers, students, and parents. All are explained in the video below:


This video (above) did a good job explaining the basics, but most of us in class wanted to know how this would work in an elementary classroom. Our presenters told us about Hillburn Academy STEM Elementary School, a school in the area working with this idea of flipping the classroom. I wanted answers and found some from a teacher at that school, Ms. Munafo. In her video (below), she is explaining flipping to parents but I think this will help us as pre-service teachers understand  the ways this works. 




The bottom line: I think this could be a good thing because teachers are working smarter, not harder. I definitely see the benefits for all involved. I would want to do this after having more experience in the classroom, that way, when I do flip, I don't flop.

To learn more, visit http://fizz.fi.ncsu.edu and watch their videos on YouTube  (just search flipped classroom)

*all videos from www.youtube.com*

4 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    I'm so sorry I missed this class, but at least I got to watch the videos! They inspired me to try flipping instruction at work this week. One of the hardest things for me to do was avoid doing so many extra edits and takes that I was working harder not smarter.

    As a parent relearning 5th grade math through my daughter's homework, I was happy to learn about the benefits of flipped instruction for the parents! The most difficult part of helping her with her work was the change in math vocabulary. My husband and I never "decomposed" or "regrouped" numbers when we were growing up. We didn't write "number sentences" either. We simplified, carried, borrowed, and wrote equations.

    Flipped instruction would have given us the vocabulary and context to reinforce what she was learning in school, rather than confuse her with the way things used to be done way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit the idea of flipping sounded strange to me at first, but after the presentation on wednesday, I have to agree that I'm convince of their potential. I think the initial time investment of figuring out and actually filming would be greater effort, but that after getting the kinks worked out, it really would allow teachers to work smarter not harder and use class time more efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you found a video from the local elementary teacher! I'm thinking of trying a few flipped lessons next fall. I hope Dr. Lodge M. is doing some research on how this instructional method affects learning outcomes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also want to say I really really like the link to the blog you are following, "Free...Teachers." I'm definitely going to explore the apps for adding audio to PPts!

    Your blog is super!

    ReplyDelete